Kiwanis of Sonoma Plaza prides itself on our ability to lend a helping hand and the high participation rate from our members. Below are a few of the programs that Kiwanis conducts throughout the year. If you would like to get involved please contact us.
A sample of our local programs:
- Dictionaries for all third grade student in our school district. We purchase quality, hardback, youth-oriented dictionaries, affix individual name plates and present them personally at all of our elementary schools.
For many, this is the first book they have owned and we receive hundreds of heart-felt thank you notes from the children each school year.
- Hands-on help to the Sonoma Valley Museum of Art to move, build and paint exhibit panels and divider walls.
- Help to prepare and deliver meals through the local Meals-on-Wheels program.
- Planning for and delivery of dozens of Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners to individuals in their homes who are unable to prepare their own or attend communal dinners at the Vintage House Senior Center.
- Help for schools in our district to improve landscaping, playground equipment and picnic tables.
- Conducting an annual charity golf tournament/dinner event in partnership with other non-profits to raise funds for a myriad of local community improvement projects.
Many of these projects began as one person’s idea or passion, which is taken up by the Club. Some projects have become regular annual or standing programs and will be repeated as long as they produce positively for the community. This process is one of the foundation stones of our success as an outstanding Kiwanis Club in our division and district.